Saturday, July 10, 2010

10 Miles = Sore Feet

Marathon Mom and I met at 6:45 today for our long run. It seems like it has been a while since we ran 10 miles, and I felt it today. We started from Lowe's and did the usual route with the SCR's, to the Wiley Bridge and back. We have been talking trying to run without all the water stops, and stretch breaks, because it just seems to drag our run out longer. I did the best I could, since I haven't been carrying water, and we stopped only once on the way back from the bridge. Unfortunately I had to run to McDonald's and use the bathroom, because there was no way I was going to make it back to Lowe's. Marathon Mom kept going and promised she would run really slow, but I never managed to catch her again. The last 2 miles were really hard, my legs were just out of juice, and my foot started to burn, where it has been hurting lately. I was sooooo tempted to cut my run short and run across the Lowe's parking lot, but I didn't, so I made the 10 miles, but I was barely moving at the end. I am going to spend today icing my feet, and won't complain when I have to go back for my foot therapy (rub) on Monday.

To make matters worse, my so called friend, was standing with a group of SCR's telling them why I made a pit stop, so they all chimed in with advice on how to avoid potty stops on a run. I guess I will try giving up my cup of coffee before these morning runs and see if that helps. At least I didn't duck into a bush and do my business, like the lady at the race Thurs. I will never be that dedicated a runner!

3 comments:

marathon mom said...

The SCRs were all "concerned" about where you were. Phil and Chris saw you take off in another direction at the bridge since they were right behind us-no secret there! Then the other ladies were right behind me and they were wondering what happened to you. I suppose as runners, we have all been there and they were very sympathetic.

I felt pretty good today and I think the overall time was about 1:40-1:45 minutes. We did manage to run a good stretch of the way without stopping once we finished stretching. I find that I am able to keep going without stopping as long as I pace myself and take it easy. My feet are not too bad either, right now.

I really enjoyed sitting outside after the run and talking with some of the other SCRs. It's good to listen to some of their advice on running the summer series. I liked Phil's philosophy on it, to approach it like 7 good training runs.

I'm glad Patty was able to get up and come run with me so early in the morning, but I wonder what will happen when she gives up the coffee first thing in the morning.

Patty said...

Glad you are feeling good after today's run. I have been tired today, but not sore like I thought. I really don't know how I will get through a run without the coffee first! It is nice to know that people noticed I was missing this morning, and I take all their advice to heart. I realize though that the gatorade, coffee, and pastries after our run is canceling the benefits we may have gained while running. I think I am going to have to adjust that too :(

marathon mom said...

I agree, I think we need to stop the pastries afterwards or just share one. As we were sitting there, I noticed we were the only ones eating anything. For the rest of the SCRs, it was just coffee.

I just saw the weather report for Thursday-103 degrees. Maybe I won't be running the race this Thursday after all, and if I do, it will just be a jog.