Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dueling Garmins

The cooler weather sure is a nice change from this time last week! Marathon Mom, C and I started out from Cheesepark at 6pm and the temps. were very pleasant. We decided to head to the Albertson's side of the Heritage Trail and run down to Decoro and back. I strapped on my new Garmin and with some help from Marathon Mom got it set so I wouldn't have to push stop and start if we had to wait for a light. Now I just need to remember to press start at the beginning of our run. The nice part about wearing a Garmin when we run is that when I am struggling during a run, and can't seem to catch my breath, I can look at the Garmin and realize it is because we are running faster than usual! I was really pleased to make it through our run without much knee pain, and although I felt like I was struggling, it was because we averaged close to a 9.3 pace. Now C just has to get a GPS and we will be even "cooler" with our matching belts, glasses and funny looking watches! No matter what we look like, I am thankful to be able to run with my friends, they are patient with my limitations, but they also push me to do more than I would ever do on my own. I am hoping the doctor gives me the OK to do a good part of the long run this coming weekend, we will see.

3 comments:

Claire said...

Ooh, I think I need to be taught that trick too! I hate stopping/starting my Garmin if I have to stop to deal with Moxie or Laura. I didn't know it could do that.

Glad to hear your knee is feeling better! I sprained my ankle again on Friday so I'm feeling your pain (so to speak).

Keep up the great work ladies!

marathon mom said...

We have been called different names as people often see us running together. We've often been called "Charlie's Angels", "The Tribe", "The MORE moms", or just "the moms". Tonight as we ran together, I realized that we are well on our way to becoming the "triplets". As Patty mentioned, we have our matching belts (which also gets a lot of comments), we have our matching sunglasses, and now Patty and I both have matching Garmin 301s and just need C to get one too. I think as much as we talk about getting matching outfits, we are afraid that the outfits would be a little overboard. I'm not sure if I like the fact that Patty has her own Garmin. I used to be able to sneak in a faster pace here and there and my friends wouldn't be any wiser until they noticed that they are laboring a little harder than usual. Now all Patty has to do is check her Garmin and she's on to me. Darn! It was a very pleasant evening for a run. The weather was great with just enough of a breeze to cool us down and Patty's knee seemed to hold up even with the faster 9.36 face.

marathon mom said...

The automatic stop and start is under the training assistant menu option. It's not foolproof though. If your arm is still moving around, it will continue to start and stop. Still, it's better than letting it run continuously or having to remember to stop it yourself all the time.

Claire, I hear you may be coming for a visit. Hopefully your ankle is better so you can join us for a run.