Sunday, September 6, 2009

I Came, I Ran, I Limped, I Iced...


Today was the day of our 18 mile long run, and I felt well prepared to get through it, if not with blazing speed, at least with a slow and steady pace! Marathon Mom, C, and I took off with our packs full of new packs of GU, Luna Moons, Sport Beans, and Oyster Crackers. We even ran with another member of the SCR's who is also doing the run/walk program. We headed down McBean, took a right on Valencia, and followed that all the way past Bouquet where it becomes Soledad. We took Soledad to Sierra Hwy, turned right, and passed Costco to turn onto Via Princessa. We turned onto Whites Cyn, and ran downhill to get back onto Soledad, this is when I really started to to feel the pain in my knee. Our route would take us back down Soledad/Valencia, hook us up with the South Fork Trail, and the usual finish off Wiley, Old Orchard and back to Granery Square. When we hit the South Fork, I was having trouble with running, but walking was painful also. I had to send the girls ahead, and finish the last 3 miles, with mostly walking which just dragged out the agony that much longer. I feel like Marathon Mom and C really kept up a good pace, 10 1/2 min. miles over all, and they seemed to do really well with the run/walk strategy. I didn't want to be the one to post today, because I did not have a good experience and am worried that my knee may keep me out of running a bit. I plan on seeing Dr. B as soon as possible, to make sure it is Ok, before I attempt another run longer than today's. Maybe my friends will post something more positive so you all can hear about what they accomplished today, they both were awsome, and should be very proud of making it through 18 miles! Good work Girls!

6 comments:

marathon mom said...

I am really EXHAUSTED! Today's 18 mile run felt better than our 16 miler while I was running it, but as soon as we were done, I felt so much worse. The pain is undescribable. In fact, the pain on the bottom of my feet were really bad the last two miles. I am also very tired. I felt like I was going to fall asleep on my short drive home. When I came home, I fell asleep in the bathtub, fell asleep in bed, and fell asleep in the car. I tried soaking my feet in an ice bath, but it brough tears to my eyes just trying it and I was whimpering so much that I started to worry my kids and the dog. The bottom of my feet are really sore and it still hurts for me to walk. I hope your knee is going to be okay. It needs to hang in there and stay healthy.

Patty said...

I have just been so hungry all day, it is scary! I couldn't really sleep but am dragging right now so hopefully will sleep good tonight. If it wasn't for my left knee, I am sure that I would notice that my feet and my hip hurt, but I really don't notice anything but that. I am worried that I will be off running this week, and am really nervous about another long run! You and C both did great today, I could tell you felt better this week, and C was trying to be nice and stay with me, but really wanted to run. I hope tomorrow feels better.

marathon mom said...

When I came home, I did nothing but eat. I had some mushroom turnovers, an In-N-Out Cheeseburger and fries, and a peach pie a la mode. Thankfully we just got home and I am now too tired to eat again. I was really dragging the last two miles and had to stop and walk for a while at 16.5 miles, but then I remembered to pump my arms when I have nothing left in my legs. I think that helped a little and I was able to keep going without stopping again. I also think the GU gave me a little more energy than the blocks and the jelly beans, but my stomach has been really upset the last couple of hours. Not sure why. Maybe we can swim instead a few times this week to save whatever cushion we have left in our joints?

Patty said...

Just asked the hubby to pick up some In-N-Out for lunch. The power of suggestion is strong. No running, and all this eating is really going to do me in. The knee is a bit swollen today, but has loosened up a bit since I got up. Maybe it is the Advil. Have a wonderful day off, hope you do something fun, no LABOR involved!

Claire said...

I AM IN AWE!! You ladies are all so awesome. I brag to everyone here in NC about what your running :)

I truly don't know it I'll ever be able to run a marathon, but no matter what I'll always be inspired by your hard work and dedication.

marathon mom said...

I am starting to feel human again today. I spent the day at the beach and met up with some old friends. What I found interesting about the long run was that I was hurting in parts of my body that I didn't even know I had. Things are looking and feeling better today. I hope Patty is on the mend too and I think C was laying around all day like me, which we all earned and deserved.