Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Naked Shake

I bet that title got your attention. No, C and I were not running down Soledad naked during our long run today. After our almost 18 mile run, we decided to get a Naked protein shake at Starbucks. It was actullay quite good and refreshing. I am going to try to buy these ahead of time and keep them in my cooler when we go on these long runs.

We ran basically the same course as the last time we ran 18 miles, except we started off left on McBean and ran up to Rockwell and down to Valencia from there to connect to Soledad. Once we hit Whites Cyn, we turned up Whites and reconnected with the bike trail until we hit 9 miles. I knew we weren't going to get exactly 18 because we weren't finishing exactly the same way we came, but we didn't care. It started out quite cold this morning and got brutally hot by the time we were on Soledad just past the Saugus Speedway. When we got to the last water stop, the jugs were almost empty and I felt sorry for the people behind us. In fact, one of the veteran runners in our group became so dehydrated that she started seeing stars and had to walk from the Saugus Speedway all the way back. I have to say I was really dreading the pain I always feel after these long runs, but the pain never came. Usually my calves lock up and my feet hurt really badly, but today they felt pretty good. I guess that's why we do these training runs, so our bodies can get used to these long miles and not kill ourselves on race day. The only complaint was that C and I both didn't eat very well and was a little low on energy. The GU seemed to help again.

We missed Patty today. I know she really wants to be out there running with us, but I think she is doing the right thing by listening to Dr. B if she wants to be better in time for the marathon.

3 comments:

Patty said...

I am soooo jealous! Not of the fact that you had to get up early and run almost 18 miles, but because now you can say you did. Good job girls, I feel like I haven't run in weeks, I am ready to try it out again, so let me know when you want to get out again.

marathon mom said...

Don't be too jealous, it wasn't too pretty. We were thinking of running maybe Tuesday at CP. I will not be able to run at all this weekend due to schedule conflicts so it will be my turn to be jealous. Maybe we can run Thursday morning since we can't run at night due to the school meet.

Patty said...

I am thinking that it may go one of two ways, I will really be behind you guys in my preparation for the marathon, and pay the price on race day, or I will get back to it, and feel oh so lucky to have missed out on 3 plus hours of torture. Either way right now I am just itching to get back to running, but not enough however to go out by myself in this heat, see you at C Park tomorrow!