Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Running Safety

I was reading in today's paper that a 16 year old girl was assaulted on the same trail that C and I ran on Saturday. The assault occurred on Sunday afternoon. I usually feel safe there because there are so many people out on that trail, but perhaps on a Sunday afternoon it isn't as crowed. There are some creepy people along that trail, more so than the other trails we run on. I know several 16 year old girls that could have been running on that trail and hopefully it isn't anyone I know. As it starts to get dark earlier it will be even more important for us to get going on our run early and get back before dark. I feel okay running with someone else, but I wouldn't want to run alone for this very reason, especially on the trails because they are more isolated and not always in public view. And it isn't only people predators we need to worry about. Lately running in the early evenings, we often hear coyotes. I've known people who have been chased by packs of coyotes before so we have wild predators to worry about. I keep thinking I'll carry my pepper spray. Maybe it's time I do.

Last night, Patty, C and I ran from Heritage toward Copperhill up to the power lines and back for 3 miles. Even with Patty's sore knee, we kept a decent pace of 9.37 min/mi. I'm worried about this weekend and the long run that is scheduled. Patty will probably skip the run, and I'm just not looking forward to running out to Sierra Hwy and back again. Ugghh.

2 comments:

Patty said...

I read the same article, and am so glad that I have my friends to run with! I almost ran 7 miles by myself a couple of weeks back, but my husband wouldn't let me go alone. As we were running we passed a very creepy guy with gloves on, and he said he was really glad that he was with me. I like the quote for today, because it seems like lately the most exercise I am getting is between the fridge and the couch. As much as I hated it, I am going to be really sad to miss that long run this weekend. Back to the doc tomorrow, to see when I can run again.

marathon mom said...

I'm really dreading this weekend's long run because I already know what's coming. I just wish we weren't doing the same route again.