Thursday, September 24, 2009

Small Victories!

My friends and I were going to run last night, but surprisingly they were still feeling the effects of the 18 miles they had run on Sunday (go figure!) and decided they were not up for running two days in a row. I have been resting my knee, and was anxious to get another run in before the weekend, so I convinced the hubby to go out this morning for a short run. I really wanted to make it 4 miles this time, since I got through the 3 miler relatively well. The doctor keeps telling me that I should be able to make it through anything up to 5 miles and I really wanted to test it out. We ran the Heritage Trail to Copperhill and back which is an even 4 miles. I am very excited that I made it through the run with no knee pain!!!! I did feel the telltale tightening in my knee at about the half way point, but it never turned into actual pain. The pain I felt was in my stomach, due to the yogurt that I foolishly ate for breakfast this morning (I know we have discussed the never have yogurt before a run rule) Also the heat was brutal, even at 8:45 in the morning, which I will try and remember next time I complain about getting up early to run. The next hurdle will be 5 miles on Sunday, hopefully I will get through that one also, the progress seems pretty slow, considering a 20 miler is looming, but I will just have to take the victories as they come, even if they are small!

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

I'm glad your run this morning was painfree, well... as painfree as a run can be. I was thinking if your knee fares better in the morning when you haven't been on your feet all day. I'm sure it was hot this morning when you ran, but can you imagine what it was like for the frosh kids that had to run this afternoon at 3 p.m.? I think the JV and Varsity are breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't have to run. I just wish they had made the call to cancel the meet before all those kids had so much trouble with the heat. I was feeling better this evening and thought about running around the track at my son's practice, but I don't think he would have liked that very much.

Patty said...

As a parent, I find it completely irresponsible that the adults in charge of these meets do not seem to have the majority of the kids well-being in mind. Whether or not the frosh kids were falling from heat exhaustion, or poor hydration is not the issue, the problem is putting so many kids in danger by making them run at all. When you have the more experienced runners commenting that it is a "training issue or a hydration issue" they are just saying what they have heard from their coaches, and very demeaning to the kids who of no fault of their own end up falling down during their run. I think they need to regulate these races better and have trained medical personal at all points of the course to tend the ones who do fall. It breaks my heart to see these kids in so much discomfort and then read on other sites that it is their fault somehow, that they weren't prepared enough! It was TOO HOT period!!!!