Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Measly Five

Today the SCR's were running a 10 miler, but since I am following doctor's orders I had planned to only run 5. C and I had decided we would run a flat route, and after getting a late start decided to head out on McBean for 2 1/2 miles and then turn around. I was using the Garmin that I inherited from my brother for the first time, and took some time to get used to stopping and starting it when we hit the big traffic lights, which are definately an issue on that particular route. We easily finished our 5 miles, in a nothing to brag about 9.5 pace, but felt very guilty since we came in at the same time as alot of the SCR's that ran a full 10 miles. It isn't as bad as it sounds since we started almost 30 min. after they did, but really physically it felt like we had just gotten started. I know that I needed to stop at 5, because my knee was starting to hurt, but it is discouraging, knowing how far the others are going and not being able to do the same. I am worried about building my mileage up enough before we have to run the actual marathon, it is daunting to say the least! Oh well, I will check back in with the doctor and make a new plan for this week, that is all I can do. We missed Marathon Mom today, she is busy with soccer, but I have a new respect for her ability to moniter the Garmin and keep us on pace.

6 comments:

SD said...

You can do it !! I'm vicariously rooting for you :)

Hope your knee keeps healing and you get back up over 10 miles in no time flat ;)

Patty said...

LOVING the Garmin, it is just like Marathon Mom's, so now we have a back-up! My hubby and #1 son will also be using it to track their runs, so Thanks again.

marathon mom said...

I cannot believe you are wearing anything on your wrist while you run. I thought I would never see the day. I'm proud of you for adapting to it. There is a way for it to stop automatically while you're stopped at a light so that you don't have to keep pushing that button. I'll show how the next time we are out. I would love to upgrade to the watch style, but it is currently out of my budget. The Garmin is a great motivator, almost as much as my friends. I hope it wasn't too hot with your late start;-)

SD said...

whoa..i didn't know how to get the watch to stop automagically...

i guess i need to open my user manual and figure out if my new watch style one has the same feature! :)

SD said...

said...

ps: i use Garmin Connect to upload my walk/runs to..

it's free and you can then replay them for later.. much nicer map view than the garmin training center that runs on your PC..

:)

marathon mom said...

Thanks for the tip on the Garmin Connect. I just uploaded it and love the new maps, much better!