Monday, February 1, 2010

Up and Running (sort of)

It will be a week tomorrow that I had surgery to remove my appendix, so I felt that I should get out today and see if I could run a bit. I have to go back to work tomorrow, and I have literally been in the house, or hospital since last Monday. The doctor didn't put any restrictions on me as far as exercise and just said to do what I felt like I could do and to start slow. I went to Central Park with the hubby with the intention of running very slowly and walking if I got sore. It was a beautiful day, cool, not cold, no wind, very pretty. I wore my Garmin, to keep me from running too fast (I have a problem judging how fast I am going, and tend to try to keep up with whoever is in front of me). The Garmin did a great job of keeping my pace down, not that I was tempted to speed up anyway, and I stuck to an 11 min. mile, the whole way. I made it 2 1/2 miles and like I said kept it at 11.04, so was pretty happy to be able to get that in. Who knows what the weather will be like the rest of the week, but I may have to run on my own, if I am going to go that slow. My friends will be ready for another long run this weekend and I am aiming for that, but will have to see how my week goes. I can't say that I didn't feel the effect of my run, and luckily was able to come home and rest this afternoon. I really am looking forward to be Up and Really Running soon!

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

It's good to see you back at work too. Today is our hill workout again so perhaps it is a good day to sit this one out. Hopefully it will be better than the last time for us. It is tough getting back to running after a long hiatus, and even tougher after surgery. We're not going anywhere so we will wait for you to "catch up".