Saturday, February 20, 2010

Mid-Winter Slump

I haven't blogged about the past two runs, because they were just not worth blogging about! It seems that all three of us, are in a slump. Our legs are dead, our breathing bad, and the urge to stop mid-run seems to be the only thing on our minds. This morning I met Marathon Mom at Lowe's for our long weekend run. C is spending the day in San Diego, so we headed out without her. We had already discussed trying to get in 10 miles, but if we were having a bad day, we agreed we would turn back early. Marathon Mom's hubby started the run with us, and kept us at a bit faster pace than we are used to, luckily today the legs seemed to have a bit more in them. We needed a change of scenery, so we headed toward Decoro, and took the far side of the trail to Copperhill. It is 5 miles, just short of Copperhill, but instead of turning around we headed to the bathroom at Cheesepark. It seems like the GU and the cold water combo, does a number on our stomaches. The stopping does make our run time longer, but we both agreed that the running was much better this week. We managed to run our 10 miles, in a 9.57 pace, which is just fine for a Saturday morning. I know that when the weather starts to warm, so will our legs, so the important thing to do for now is just force ourselves to get out and follow our routine. It doesn't hurt to mix things up a bit, and go in a different direction either, today it really seemed to help! We got lucky with the rain, I hope we are just as lucky next week.

4 comments:

marathon mom said...

I felt great during and after our run today, which is a relief because I felt so crummy on Wednesday. However, my knee is really hurting me now. It never bothered me during or even after the run, but I can barely walk on it now. I really did enjoy the change of scenery though. I think we need to be more creative as far as our runs go so we don't get into a rut.

I found it funny how another group of women from SCR were smart enough to start an hour later too. Women are much better planners. I will enjoy sleeping in tomorrow!

Claire said...

Wow, 10 miles is a slump?!?! :) Just kidding, I know you ladies are feeling the frustration and pain, just like I am. It's hard knowing what you're capable of and not being able to reach that. I say keep up the good work, you all are still an inspiration to me.

I'm in a huge rut with my runs too, I run the same route every time and I think that is part of the dread I feel every time I get ready to run. I guess it's time to change it up out here too!

Patty said...

It helps a lot to change up our runs, and that is the beauty of running with other people. If it was just myself, I probably would just go out my front door and and down Seco, which I hated and didn't do very often. I think it would help you to have a few different routes to choose from. I think the frustration comes from seemingly running so much and still having those, can't move the legs or breathe days, and don't even get me started on the things that start to hurt, during or after. Some how I feel I should have something to "show" for putting in the miles, a great body, faster times, or at the very least no injuries, in that order!

marathon mom said...

I think the best thing we have to "show" for all the miles we run together is our friendship. It's also a lot cheaper than a visit to a therapist and I think our families are a lot happier too. Mom is a lot less grouchy when she runs.