Monday, February 8, 2010

I Am Running

This afternoon's run, was pretty tough for me. I could tell right away that my legs were wobbly from yesterday's run. We agreed that we would only run 3 miles, but I wanted to stop after less than half a mile. There just was no pick up in my legs, and my breathing was labored. We started at Cheesepark and headed toward Decoro, we took the new sidewalk that runs between the trail and McBean and then took the sidewalk on Decoro till we got back to the trail. As we started back toward Copperhill, I just felt like I wasn't even running, and would have loved an excuse to just stop. Marathon Mom gave me one, when she suggested that in order to hit our 3 mile goal, we should add a hill that my husband calls the "Apple Core". We agreed, just to have a change of scenery and I will have to admit that it worked. I was able to get up the hill (very slowly) and then the next two that take us back to McBean. It has been a long time since I ran any hills, and it definitely showed today. I have some catching up to do, and it makes me so mad that I seemed to have totally lost the level of fitness that I gained with all the Marathon training. No idea what our pace was, but I am pretty sure that my friends are still taking it easy for my benefit. I am going to let my legs rest tomorrow, and hope that Wednesday's hill run will be a bit easier for me. Going up the last part of the hill today, I just kept thinking "I know I am going slow, but I Am Running!"

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

Today's run was tough on me too. I just felt exhausted even before I started running. Mentally and physically, I was just not into running today. The extra hill workout certainly had my heart pumping out of my chest, which is something we need to do more of. It was certainly more intense than our Wednesday hill run because we usually take that run a little slower. Today's pace wasn't so bad considering the hills (10.15). I wanted to start doing some of the suggestions I recently read about mixing up the hill workouts between shorter, more intense hill repeats and the slower, longer runs on rolling hills. Today was obviously the shorter, more intense kind.