Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Not So Bad

I’m sure Patty would agree that today’s run was not quite as bad as she had imaged it would be. She had missed the last 3 times we ran the hill workout from Bridgeport and I think she was a little worried that she had fallen too far behind. We did our usual run from Bridgeport to the Helmers switchbacks into almost Northpark and she had no trouble keeping up with C and me. The thing about this run I really like is that no matter how awful I feel, it is something I know I can get through. The hills are just steep enough to make your heartrate go up, but short enough so you know you can make it to the top without stopping and then there's usually a nice downhill reward until the next uphill.  I'm glad we're back to working this route into our weekly routine.  Just like the apple core hill, I think we should eventually work in the water tower road into our run from Bridgeport.  When we run on the flat trails, I think it is just too easy to go for an easy run and not challenge ourselves, but on the hills you have no choice.  Even if you slow down your pace, it is still a good workout.  I just wish my body knew how hard I was working and would start losing some of this holiday weight.

1 comment:

Patty said...

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, that is for sure. I thought I would be farther behind you and C, and was happy that I managed to keep up for the most part. I did feel like I wanted to stop for a lot of the run, but the hills are manageable size. I am a bit sore (hips) and am hoping that my legs will really feel fresh for our long run on Friday. I felt like the rest yesterday really paid off during our run today. It is nice to be back!