Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Traitor

I felt like a traitor today because I rode my bike as my husband ran.  Our regular readers know that we have a "thing" against cyclist.  He asked if I wanted to run with him and I almost did, but my hamstring hurt more today than it did yesterday so he suggested that I ride my bike alongside him.  Since it is the holidays, I wanted to increase my activity level a little bit to try to keep the pounds from piling on.  I have to say, I think I would have burned more calories vacuuming my house.  We started from our house and "ran" the river trail that we always run near our house.  There is no comparison between running that same route and riding a bike.  Even on the slight upgrade, I never felt like I got my heart rate up.  In fact, I never broke a sweat and I never really did warm up.  I think we went about 4-5 miles.  The whole time I was riding, I kept thinking about all those obnoxious cyclists that are yelling for us to get out of their way.  I don't see what the big deal is.  Maybe they would get a better workout if they actually had to maneuver around us.  Anyhow, I really don't get the cycling thing, if you're looking for a way to excercise, atleast not along these fairly flat paseos.

2 comments:

Patty said...

Wow, you really have gone over to the "dark" side. There may just come a day, when we are too old and constantly injured when we will have to get out the bikes on a regular basis, but in truth I think I would rather "swim". If it comes to a time when I can't run, I will buy a body suit and hit the pool. Swimming will get your heart rate up, but I have trouble not tripping over my own two feet, I would be dangerous on a bike.

marathon mom said...

Yes, but possibly more dangerous in a pool.