Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Marathon Memories

There are many things that I remember from Sunday's Marathon! I hope I can get it all down before my aging memory fades. Most of all I remember the joy I felt to finish something my friends and I had worked so hard for in these past few months. Here are some of the highlights:

  • waiting in line for half and hour to use the porta potty before the start (good thing it was delayed)
  • running past the farm with the huge turkey in the yard
  • seeing all the men pull over and pee (no porta potty wait, but go behind a bush!)
  • turning around to talk to my friends and tripping over the curb
  • noticing that rolling hills, basically means "hilly"
  • being AMAZED at mile 5, 10, 15, and 25 that my knee did not hurt!
  • wondering how that guy was going to run in that blow-up Santa suit the whole time
  • really appreciating how many people were out cheering for us (Team Santa Clarita)
  • wishing I looked like the Barbie Marathon Girl
  • knowing at mile 18 that I was going to be able to finish!
  • being really happy that at mile 18 on I could still keep up a good pace (no matter that it was on the downhill)
  • being totally comfortable with walking up the big hill at mile 23
  • being annoyed at the awkward slant of the street toward the end of the race
  • wishing they had more electrolytes at the water stations
  • wishing there were more potties at the start of the race
  • hitting the wall with a mile and a half to go
  • being so annoyed when everyone kept saying we were almost done and it was all downhill from there (it wasn't all downhill, and I have a Garmin, I know how far it still is)
  • wanting to stop and walk the last half mile
  • running a few yards with son #3 which gave me the energy to finish
  • being so happy to be done, and feeling my knee pain kick in
  • being so proud of my son
  • being so incredibly proud of myself and my friends
I know I told my friends that a marathon was like giving birth, but I also think it is alot like life. You get up some days and it is just lousy, and you hurt, but you still get up again the next day and try again, and sometimes you get to have a moment that lets you know that it is all worth the effort! Hopefully there are many moments for us and all our loved ones! Enjoy the pictures.

4 comments:

marathon mom said...

Sorry Patty, but that first picture was just hideous of me and I had to delete it. In fact, you were the only one that looked good in it.

A few corrections need to be noted about your marathon memories (I know you were tired):

1: The guys peeing outside didn't even bother going behind a bush, just on them.

2: The marathon barbie wasn't really a "marathon" barbie, just a barbie because she was part of a relay.

3: You forgot your favorite memory of all, the college boys handing out water in their speedos.

I think it was the most fun I have ever had while simultaneously being in pain. One valuable thing I learned from the experience was how to keep the seat covers from falling down the porta potty. I also learned which GU is good, but I hope I don't have to eat another one for a long time.

Patty said...

I meant that the guys should have gone behind a bush, I was shocked to see all of them just lined up on the side of the road doing their "business". I liked that picture because we were all bundled up and we looked so excited, maybe you just had to pee really bad! How could I forget the guys in speedos, I guess they didn't leave that much of an impression. I was pretty nauseous for the rest of the day Sunday from the combination of too much GU and Advil! It was really fun, and I can't believe the weather held off just for us.

Patty said...

Oh, and sadly, I would not look like Barbie Runner, even if I only ran the Relay and not the whole thing. In fact the thing that stinks the most is that with all the running we do, it doesn't seem to pay off with a terrific body, I would at least like some nice hair to show for it!

marathon mom said...

All of our pictures are up from the marathon at :

http://www.brightroom.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=55842

Just put in our bib numbers to see the pics.

Marathon mom #429
Patty: #1418
C: #1439

There's a few good ones, but I didn't see any of all three of us.