Monday, April 19, 2010

A Racer?

I don't know what the heck is going on this year, but we have encountered more snakes in these last few weeks of running than any other time and it's going to give me a heart attack.  Today the four of us (me, Patty, C, Sea-n-Sun) headed out from Bridgeport and ran toward Lowes to the new Riverpark Community.  As we just started running behind the Lowe's parking lot, a man greeted us and said "hi".  I was a few feet up ahead and the sun was in my eyes as I looked to the man to say "hi" back.  Just as I passed him, I hear all of the ladies screaming behind me, which automatically caused me to start screaming.  As I look behind me,  I see them stopped dead in their tracks as a huge brown snake comes up from the riverbed and into the bushes next to the parking lot.  I swear my heart was jumping out of my chest.  We probably scared the Sh*t out of the poor guy walking past us.  According to the ladies, I ran right over the snake (not stepping on it) and didn't even notice.  I'm usually the one to notice everything on the ground, but I think I was momentarily distracted by the man and that's when I had passed the snake.  I'm surprised the guy didn't see it either. Well after that we were  really paying attention to where we were stepping and kept to the center of the trail.  Even a twig in the middle of the trail had Patty screaming a bit.  I think the burst of adrenaline got us running a little faster too.  We finished our run with just over a 9.2 pace.  I thought that was pretty good considering we just ran the day before and it was windy and hot at the same time.

I went online to look up what type of snake it was because I had never seen one like it before.  I think it looked very much like the one in the above picture, which is very ironic because it's called a racer and it was moving rather fast.  Maybe it just wanted to join us on our run?  No thank you, I don't think my heart can take anymore of this!

2 comments:

Patty said...

I am over the snakes on our run! I seem to be the only one who screams, and I was very loud today, because I wanted to warn you. I can't believe you didn't see him, but it is probably for the best, he was literally running right past you. It was a pretty miserable run today, hot, windy, and not much in the legs. I am looking forward to having a day off tomorrow.

marathon mom said...

You know what's funny is that most people say you come across as very calm. I guess they've never seen you with a snake before. Like I said, I was screaming before I knew what I was screaming about just because I heard all of you screaming.