Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Back to COC

We tried to think of a different course today, since we are all on Spring Break and weren't in a hurry to get home and make dinner. The best we could come up with was to run the hills at COC, which we haven't done in quite some time. Marathon Mom, C and I met at 8am and ran the dirt part of the course twice. It was really a nice morning, cool, but not cold, and we were either sheltered from the wind, or it didn't really kick up until we were done. There wasn't anything too exciting, (snakes) except for the dog poop that people don't feel they are responsible to pick up while walking their dogs (ugh!). There were also many holes, that looked like gopher holes, but I don't know if they were since there were so many of them. Marathon Mom and I are on the road again tomorrow, heading up North to visit colleges for our boys, so we won't get much of a chance to run the rest of the week. It was a great way to start the day, and we did quite well on the hills, even though we haven't run that route in quite a while. Spring running is the best running as far as I am concerned (good weather, more in the legs, longer days). Before we know it, I am going to be complaining about how I hate Summer running!

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

That was the best condition I have ever seen that course, even with all the holes. The ground was still soft from the recent rain and didn't give off a bunch of dust like when we usually run there and the short layer of grass gave it just the right amount of cushion. I wasn't slipping all over the place as I was climbing Killer Hill. It was like nature's gift to us just because it's spring!

Speaking of Killer Hill, I was thinking about how best to approach it when running, slow and steady or fast and attacking. When I ran up it on the first loop, I ran it slow and steady which also required more and shorter steps. I got through it and Aftershock without stopping, but I felt my legs really burning. The second time around when I should have been more tired, I decided to run it more aggressively with bigger strides and quicker pace and it actually felt a little easier since I was on the hill for a shorter period of time. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I think if it's a short steep hill you're better off powering through it quickly to get it over with and if it's a long steady climb, you're better off running a slow steady pace. Either way, I could tell that some of our HELLmers hill training has been paying off.

Patty said...

It must be nice to have a choice when running up a hill like the ones at COC. My speed is pretty much a crawl and try to get to the top without stopping. I am not sure I could actually make myself go any faster! It was really nice to have all the grass on the course, a nice change from the dirty, dusty course we are used to. It was a nice change of pace.