Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pierce College

I don't know how many times I've been to this college to watch my kids' cross country races over the last 5-6 years and never once did I actually run the course myself until today.  On a spur of the moment, my son had conditioning practice with his soccer team and I decided to join him so I can finally get a run in.  I couldn't have picked a better day to try this course.  It was absolutely beautiful from the top and the temperature was perfect.  I ended up doing the entire course 1 1/2 times for a total of about 4 miles and only had to stop once on the back switchbacks.  I didn't realize there were so many switchbacks back there.  Now I know why the kids always looked so exhausted by the time they got to the crest.  I can't imagine doing that on a hot day.  I even ran up Puke's Peak, which is the last hill on the course, without stopping and finally got to see what was back there.  Running the course certainly puts things in a different perspective than from my past vantage point which was usually from under the shade of the EZ-Up.  One of my son's soccer buddies, who also ran cross country, knew a different route from what my son usually ran and it turns out there's even a little lake (pond) that you can run around.  Today was certainly a day of new discoveries.  I think it would be a lot of fun to run this course again with the ladies and do some shoe shopping at Phidippides.

2 comments:

Patty said...

It sounds like it would be a nice change of pace. I am always up for a trip to Phidipidies. My hubby sensed that I wanted to run, so went with me to Central Park. It was still such a beautiful day, even if a bit breezy. The good thing about C. Park is that you change direction enough, so that you are not running into the wind for any length of time. I felt like I kept a good pace, but I have to admit, my legs are feeling it today. Don't think I am going to be up for a hill workout today.

marathon mom said...

Me either. I had enough of the hills yesterday and my legs need some flat land.