Sunday, April 18, 2010

Footsteps 5K

Today we ran the Footsteps 5K that started from Newhall Park and ran out and back on the South Fork Trail. C had mentioned wanting to run it some time ago, but we haven't been able to coordinate or schedules lately, so we waited until the last minute to decide whether we would run or not. It was really nice not to have any pressure leading up to the race (anticipation, anxiety etc.) I just woke up this morning and signed up at the park! Unfortunately C was not able to run, but Marathon Mom, Sea and Sun, and a friend were all there ready to run. I really HATE 5K runs because I am not in the least bit speedy, and that is what you need to be to run a good 5K. I tend to spend my first mile trying to pass the kids and walkers, and end up out of breath for the next mile, and absolutely dead legged on the last mile. I managed to stay behind Marathon Mom, and Sea and Sun for the first mile and I felt pretty good, but I could tell from experience that the last mile was gonna suck, since it was uphill and into the sun. Marathon Mom and Sea and Sun were running like they were on a Sunday stroll (chatting and laughing). Even though I was close enough behind to hear Marathon Mom reprimand the Dad who told his kid to throw is water bottle into the wash, I was definitely huffing and puffing, not chatting. I spent a lot of my energy after the turnaround trying to get around the kid who threw the bottle, kids don't want you to pass them, so they run really slow and when you start to pass they start to sprint. When I told my hubby about all these things that kept me from running faster, he said I need to concentrate on my running more and less on the people around me, hmmmm. We all agreed that we would have liked to run faster,and that the last mile did suck, but it was a fun event, and I am glad I showed up. I have to say that I don't get as stressed about these races as I used to, I am not going to win, and I know that I am going to finish, it is fun to do it with my friends cheering me on (they are always done before me anyway)!!!

4 comments:

marathon mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marathon mom said...

Funny you mentioned feeling less stressed out about this race because I was thinking the same thing. Usually before any race, my heart is pounding out of my chest and my mouth is dry from nerves, but not today. I enjoyed just taking a low key attitude about the race because I think I enjoy it more that way. I still ran faster than I normally would on a training run, but I wasn't try for any records either, which is just fine with me. If I can feel this way about all my races, I think I would be willing to enter more of them.
I'm glad we did it and were able to contribute to a good cause. I'm still bugged about that dad who told his kid to throw his empty bottle into the river. Great example he is setting for his son.

Patty said...

I mean really, we are doing more than most people our age do, and we are supporting a good cause. I think our marathon really made me realize, that I can stand on a starting line and it is really no big deal! We are spending time with people who like to run, that is it, some we will pass along the way and some will pass us. I like the way I feel afterward, so I think I will keep trying, and see how I do. Probably wouldn't do it without my friends though, so you will have to be out there with me!!

marathon mom said...

I think racing is like anything else....the more you do it, the easier it gets. Perhaps helping set up in the beginning contributed to me not feeling so nervous and kept my mind off of the race. I think we should look for another race we can do and just commit to it.