Sunday, September 26, 2010

Depressing News

I was reading the news on the internet today and there was an article on the many ways we can ruin our skin and guess what is #3 on the list?  Yup, running.  I always thought exercise, including running, increased oxygen flow to the skin which in essence made it look healthier. Although, I do have to admit that I have noticed that women who run a lot, and I do mean a lot, tend to look wrinklier.  Their face has a very weathered look to it, but I always thought it was from increased sun and wind exposure.  So what is a girl to do?  Should we buy into the saying "beauty is only skin deep"? and focus on keeping our hearts healthy?  I guess I will continue to focus on the healthy aspects of running and let nature or gravity take it's course.  That doesn't mean I won't fight the process and start investing in some better anti-wrinkle cream either.  


3. Running (or any high-impact exercise): "While such exercise may benefit our hearts, it can cause the fat pads to slide south, and collagen and elastin to break down. If you enjoy running, try walking," explains Dr. Gross. OMG — remember on Ally McBeal when Jane Krakowski's character invented the face bra for jogging? It was for this!
Related: Celebrity Skincare Trends: 1994-Today

1 comment:

Patty said...

That is depressing news! At least I have an excuse for the state of my skin. I have noticed that most of the committed women runners we know, do have more wrinkles than I would like to have. I would have put money on the cause being sun exposure! You don't have to worry, you are blessed with more pigment, so that equals less wrinkles. I may need to cross-train, but really it is just too late. Thanks for cheering me up!