Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor of Love

I suppose running is a labor of love for me to some extent.  Running is really hard work, so why do I continue to do it?  It's like all else that we labor for, the rewards that come from all our hard work.  It was nice to get an extra run in during the morning rather than at night, although I wish I could have had another day of sleeping in.  I also took my son and his teammates to their cross country practice and from how quiet it was in the car this morning, they were also wishing for another day to sleep in.  That's one thing you really miss when you become a runner-sleeping in!

As Patty and I ran from Central up to Haskell towards Copperhill, I was actually surprised that it was as far as it was.  We said we were going to run at least 40 minutes each time we get together, but we were so close to Copperhill when we had reached our half way time of 20 min., we decided to run a little longer to Copperhill before turning back.  It turned out to be 4.7 miles round trip, which took us about 45 minutes.  On the way back, some man walking decided to give Patty "pointers" on how to run.  That always cracks me up when walkers take it upon themselves to give us running tips.  If they know so much about running, why aren't they running themselves.  The guy looked like he hadn't run a day in his life.  Oh well, it was quite amusing and worth a good laugh.

2 comments:

Patty said...

I am sure it was amusing for you, annoying for me. I realize that I am the kind of person, who just looks like they need help. I was telling my husband about the "kind" man and his words of advice and I told him that I have come to the conclusion that I must just look like I need help with things. I mean some women have men "hitting" on them, but I seem to need help putting one foot in front of the other! I truly got the impression that during the time I passed him going uphill, and then again going down, that he had given it much thought. He felt a need to say something before I fell over. Oh Well, I choose not to be insulted, and it really made me try to keep my head up more :-/ Good run today!!!

marathon mom said...

Perhaps he didn't say anything to me because he thought I was beyond help! To make matters worse, I was feeling pretty good about not having anyone mention our "matching" outfits, that is until we got back to the park when our friend Kathryn had to say something.