Saturday, May 19, 2012

Beginner or Intermediate?

I was looking up training schedules for the half marathon ( I know, a little late) to see how we should be tapering off for the upcoming race. It seems all of these training schedules breakdown their recommendations based upon if you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced. The problem with that is that although my friends and I have been running for quite a while and this is certainly not our first half marathon, our total miles per week and our race pace technically do not qualify us as intermediate status either. So here's the key difference: Total miles 2 weeks before a race for a beginner is 12 miles, 15 miles for an intermediate. I think we'll just try for 13 miles. The weekend prior to the race, the beginner should run 6 miles, the intermediate 8 miles. I think we'll do 7 miles. The week of the race, easy 3-4 miles twice during the week. That sounds like our usual running plan :)

No comments: