Monday, March 26, 2012

Showing Up

Runners have a saying that "half the battle is just showing up" and today couldn't have been more true.  After our race this weekend, Patty and I were not feeling it and we were just looking for an excuse to cancel.  It's cold, we're still too sore, we're tired, we haven't made dinner yet, etc, etc.  However, the extra pounds we are both trying to lose were nagging at us a little louder than the other excuses not to run and thankfully so.  As bad as I felt today, I think we both felt good that we were able to get in 3.5 miles.  Sure it was slow, but it was a recovery run. 

The same goes for any race we enter.  I know we are contemplating the next race and whether we are going to be in good enough shape for it, but it doesn't matter.  Let's face it, we'll never be in good enough shape and good enough shape for what?  The Olympics?  We're not going to be breaking any records so why not just show up and enjoy the journey.  The benefits come from the training and the feeling you get after finishing another race.

2 comments:

patty said...

I am glad I showed up...tried to get out of it!! The run wasn't bad, but my legs are feeling it now, and my feet. It is never as bad as you think it is going to be, and I would have been so mad to pass up a chance to run! The picture on his blog is just too distracting for me, has to change:( see you tomorrow!

marathon mom said...

If you want another picture, we will have to enter another race soon! I just looked at my photos from Agoura and they are pretty depressing.