Saturday, March 24, 2012

Race Day Memories

I was reminded today of why I like to race.  There's something about the excitement on race.  Runners are a very social group of people and they have no problem striking up conversations with complete strangers, even if it is while waiting in line to use the bathroom in Ralphs Grocery Store (Thank you Ralphs!). As I stood in line talking to various women in line and watching my friends do the same, I realized that this is what running is all about, the camaraderie among runners.  It's also about sharing joys and pains of running with your fellow friends who have struggled and celebrated with you on your various journeys to becoming a better you as a runner and as a person.  During the race, I noticed a man running in front of me with a prosthetic leg and I realized I had no excuses.  I am fortunate to be able to run with both legs so why was I so phobic about entering a race?

I am happy to say that for the most part, we were all happy with our race results, although I can't speak for the dueling Mayeda boys.  Actually I don't think there's a duel, just a healthy competition among brothers.  It was nice to see them both out and running and having them cheer for us as we came in.  As for the hills, they really weren't all that bad.  I think our training was just right for it.  As for the course, it's supposed to be a pretty course, but I really didn't look around too much.  I was just trying to stay on course and keep from tripping.  Maybe next time I'll pay attention to the scenery some more.  First we have to figure out what our next race will be.  Can't wait!

Official 10K Results:
Marisol 55:37
Kwan 58.50
Bonnie 1:02.36
Caryn 1:01.29
Patty 1:01.53
Jerry 56.59
Ben 1:03.02
Andrew 42.26
Steven 42.54

3 comments:

patty said...

Not my best day of racing, Not happy with the new picture:( guess I have some work to do!! Very nice to be out on the start and finish line with my friends and family though, it was worth the early wake-up call:) Thinking about the next one though:)

SD said...

Awesome job.. i posted that picture on my blog ( shameless stealing! )

:)

patty said...

Ugh!!